Friday, January 13, 2012

A Few Thoughts for Fathers

Nathan Stam
Communications/Children's Pastor

Recently I had the opportunity to listen to a CD series on Fatherhood by Chip Ingram. It was excellent and I wanted to quickly share with you his four main points. These four points are what Fathers are called to be in their Families:
  1. A Leader: Fathers aren't passive. They fight for their families and they make things happen. They invest in their kids.
  2. A Priest: Fathers make God known to their children. As Fathers, we have the privilege of revealing God to our kids and taking their needs to God. We are constantly asking ourselves: Do my kids know God? Does our home honor God? Do my kids have an accurate knowledge of God? Fathers also model authentic worship. This means that I am worshiping in front of my children 24/7 in whatever I do, including the way that I treat my wife.
  3. A Teacher: As a Dad I'm responsible for imparting wisdom and building character in my children. A Father is not someone who incessantly lectures and wields absolute authority. In other words, don't be harsh, don't be passive, and don't always find fault with your kids. Be careful not to provoke your children to anger.
  4. A Lover: A Father gives his children what they need most: provision (both spiritual and relational) and protection. There should be an intimate heart connection between the Father and the children and the children and the Father even during the difficult times.
Dads, I hope those are challenging and encouraging!

No comments: